[omniORB] ORBscanGranularity == shutdown time?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Feb 11 15:35:29 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 11 February, Matej Kenda wrote:

> I have noticed that the same problem happens with omniORB 4.0.3 on
> Windows, but it doesn't on Linux.
>
> With ORBscanGranularity set to 0 the shutdown hangs, but with higher
> values the shutdown is delayed for approximately ORBscanGranularity
> seconds.

Sorry it's taken me so long to look into this. I'm afraid I was wrong
to say that shutdown time was not affected by the scan granularity. I
was forgetting that on Windows and HPUX, the recv() system call (and
other related calls) is not interrupted when the underlying socket is
closed. Therefore, omniORB uses a select() call with a timeout of the
scan granularity instead.

I'm not aware of any other way it could be done. If anyone knows how
to do it, in a way that doesn't terribly uglify the code, please let
me know.