[omniORB] How can I move the naming service to a new host?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Aug 31 17:49:37 BST 2004

On Thursday 26 August, Alex Tingle wrote:

> I have a running instance of omniNames that contains a set of bindings
> that I don't want to lose. I want to turn off omniNames' host machine,
> and move the service to a new machine, with a new IP.
>
> The most obvious solution is to just copy across the omniname-XXX.log
> file. However, I'm pretty sure that won't work, because the log file
> contains the IORs of naming contexts. These IORs will be different on
> the new machine.

Indeed.

> Should I write a python script to iterate through the old naming
> service and make corresponding bindings in the new naming service, or
> is there a simpler way?

That's what convertior was written for. You can use it in a hairy
script that uses catior to pick out the IORs to modify, and convert
them as necessary. Ugly, but it works.

A longer term solution will be to change omniNames not to have this
problem. There are two ways to do that. One is to completely change
the log format so it doesn't use IORs for local naming contexts. The
other is to use the undocumented
omniORB::setPersistentServerIdentifier function you can see in
omniORB.h.

> Answers on a postcard...

I thought an email would be easier.