[omniORB] c++ client and java server

Thomas Lockhart lockhart at fourpalms.org
Tue Aug 31 08:02:37 BST 2004

>>When I run the client, it  returns " the application attempted to invoke
>>an operation on a nil reference";
>>it seems to be a problem with the "_narrow" invocation.
>>I precise The IOR is correctly red on the reference file.

_narrow() will return a nil CORBA object if it is unable to match up the
IOR with the type of the object you are requesting. You may want to turn
up the debugging level on both sides to see what is being exchanged
between client and server. Also try dumping the IOR and make sure it has
a good host name the client machine can demonstrably use to find the
server machine, independent of CORBA infrastructure.

I have used JacORB and omniORB with great success. The Sun ORB has
always been less robust so you may want to consider switching.

hth

                      - Tom