[omniORB] Problem with large requests (WinNT)

Lars Nilsson chamaeleon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 14:13:51 BST 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:45:05 +0100, Clarke Brunt
<clarke.brunt at yeomannavigation.co.uk> wrote:
> The ::send call which was failing was in a server attempting to return a
> large response to a client. I've also observed failures where I can run one
> instance of a client receiving this stuff, but running a second instance of
> the same client gets CORBA exceptions in the request. I haven't yet
> investigated whether perhaps these happen in a ::recv matching the ::send at
> the other end. Again I can't help but suspect that this is something that
> happens when Windows is feeling a bit short of memory (though not, I think,
> completely out of memory, when allowing for the pagefile).
>
> As Vitaly suggests, "Maybe WSAGetLastError could explain the reason of error
> from original report.". I'll give it a try if I get back to worrying about
> this.

In a response that I sent by mistake only to Duncan, I mentioned that
I have seen some problems sending large requests (although using
omniORB 3.0.5 at the time), and from what I could tell, the underlying
socket code returned WSAENOBUFS (10055). I think I could even pick
this code up in the minor code in the exception being raised. Doing
some googling (usenet groups) for WSAENOBUFS shows quite a few people
getting it when performing transmissions of data that are some tens of
MB in size (not omniORB related, just send(), etc).

Lars Nilsson