[omniORB] Problem with large requests (WinNT)

Grzegorz Makarewicz mak at trisoft.com.pl
Tue Aug 17 21:22:55 BST 2004

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> On Monday 19 July, "Clarke Brunt" wrote:
>

>>Following up my own message (failure in tcpConnection.cc on WinNT attempting
>>to call :send with a size of >12Mb approx):
>>
>>I've experimentally added:
>>
>>#ifdef __WIN32__
>>  // Clarke Brunt, 19/7/2004, try smaller chunks
>>  if (sz >= 0x400000) sz = 0x400000 - 8;
>>#endif
>>
>>i.e. similar to the #ifdef __VMS code that is there already, to make it send
>>in 4Mb chunks. I'd never built OmniORB from source on Windows before, but
>>was relatively painless. It now works fine.
>>
>>Still, I'd appreciate knowing whether the failure I observed is due to some
>>limitation on NT, or the confuguration of my machine, or what? If it
>>_always_ happens, then something like my added code might usefully be
>>included in the official source.
>

> Can anyone confirm or deny that Windows has this limitation?

I have always buid OmniORB from source and the limitation persists
between OO wersions on any MSW powered machine 98, w2k, xp, w2003, where
OO was compiled with msvc6 or msvc7.1. Actually I have set limit for
single chunk to 100KB which seems to be working fine on linux
(RedHat/Debian and any MSW machine) - for OO 4.0.3/4.0.4.

I'm using python 2.2.2 up to cvs branch.

Biggest chunk which was successfullu transmited was 2MB-1 byte long,
where linux act as server ans MSW as client.

mak