[omniORB] persistent references and unix sockets

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Aug 17 19:18:08 BST 2004

On Tuesday 17 August, "Ahlborn, James T (MED)" wrote:

>  the part i don't understand is whether or not the persistence will
> work when using unix sockets for local machine communication.
[...]

> 1. (the ideal case) the client/server somehow resync using the known tcp
> connection, and then fallback on the speedier unix connection.
> 2. the client/server resync using the known tcp connection and
> continue using that for future communication.

As long as nothing else has cropped up with the same unix socket
file, the client will successfully fall back to using tcp to talk to
the server. There is no mechanism by which they will figure out that
they can talk by unix sockets again, but if the first object you
contact returns an object reference, that reference will have the new
unix endpoint info in it, so calls to that object will use the unix
socket.

> 3. (the worst case) the client/server cannot find each other again.
>
> basically, i guess my question is that if i want to use unix sockets
> for speedier local communication as well as have persistent
> references, do i need to specify *both* the tcp port *and* the unix
> socket file name?

Yes. If you want your references to be properly persistent, you should
pin down the unix socket file name as well as the port number.