[omniORB] TCS not set?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Aug 17 17:56:56 BST 2004

On Monday 2 August, Thorsten.Jaeger at empolis.com wrote:

> we are currently facing a problem with a non set TCS using wchar/wstring
> (UTF-16) at the server interface.
>
> The server is written in C++ with omniORB 4.0.0.
>
> A Java client (with native Java 1.4 ORB or openORB 1.3.1) works fine. A C++
> client with omniORB 4.0.3 does not work properly (CORBA BAD_PARAM). From the
> server log it looks like the transmission character set is not negotiated
> and hence is not set. Access is thru corbaloc. I know that TCS info is
> covered by IOR but since the Java client works fine there should be a way
> for other clients to negotiate a TCS even if using corbaloc.

Codeset negotiation cannot work with corbaloc, since there is no
codeset information in the corbaloc object reference. You should only
use corbaloc to find a reference to an initial bootstrap object, and
get your full object references from that.

If other ORBs successfully set codesets from corbaloc URIs, they are
operating outside of the CORBA spec.