[omniORB] OmniORBpy contains non-free code

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Aug 11 13:26:04 BST 2004

On Sunday 8 August, Alex Tingle wrote:

> > OmniORBpy contains non-free code, this makes it undistributable.
> > Effected file: bin/scripts/omkdirhier
>
> A (slightly later) copy of exactly the same script is installed on my
> Debian box as part of Xfree86: /usr/bin/X11/mkdirhier

The original code is actually free, bar the (probably invalid)
copyright notice added by Digital. The script was taken from the X
installation on an OSF machine many moons ago. The only difference
between that script and the original X one was the Digital copyright
notice.

For some kind of clarity, I have replaced omkdirhier in both the
omniORB and omniORBpy distributions with the one from the current X
distribution. The licensing for the file is still far from clear,
though, because it doesn't have any copyright information in it.
However, if it's good enough for the X distribution, which is
considered free and open source, I think it's good enough for us.