[omniORB] alternate address / endPointNoListen per POA.

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Apr 2 18:24:17 BST 2004

On Saturday 27 March, Alex Tingle wrote:

> I want to use CORBA alternate addresses. The only way I know to do this
> is to set the ORB parameter `endPointNoListen'. That sets an alternate
> address for every object hosted by that ORB.
>
> Is it possible to control this more finely? I only want some of my
> objects to have alternate addresses. Ideally I would be able to set the
> endPointNoListen parameter for just one POA.

No, there's no way to do that.

> If I must set the alternate end point ORB-wide, then is there any reason
> my process shouldn't have a second ORB with different endPoint
> parameters? Does anyone have practical experience of using more than one
> ORB per process?

You can't have more than one ORB, either, since omniORB supports only
one ORB per process. It would be a mammoth task to change that.

The endpoints are added to IORs in ior.cc. You might be able to figure
out a way to do what you want with an ior interceptor, but you might
have to hack the existing code. One thing you could do would be to use
some per-thread state to decide which endpoints to put in.