[omniORB] Getting ORB's to see each other

croonen.davy at pandora.be croonen.davy at pandora.be
Wed Sep 24 12:42:10 BST 2003

Hi Johan,

I don't know if this is the solution to your problem, but in my case this works. I have on one machine (the host) the nameservice running which I started like this:

omniNames -ORBInitRef NameService=corbaname::localhost:2809

On the same machine I have also the "server-side" running.

Now on another machine I also installed omniORB4 but this just for having the libraries to start the example. The point is now to let the client (eg3_clt.cc) register with the NameService on the host machine. This is done as follows, somewhere in the clientcode you find something like this:

CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc,argv);

replace this by:

const char* options[] [2] =  {{"InitRef","NameService=corbaname::172.16.0.17:2809"},{0,0}};
CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc,argv,"omniORB4",options);

where 172.16.0.17 is the ip of your host machine.

The client can now communicate with the server-side on the host machine, notice this is just 'a' way to make it done. Probably you just can make this change with commandline arguments also but I don't tested that.

More of this stuff is explained in chapter 4 of the omniORB4 usersguide.

I hope this could help you

Greetz Davy