[omniORB] multiple directories for generated IDL

Gary Duzan gduzan at bbn.com
Thu Sep 18 14:44:04 BST 2003

In Message <00a801c37d5f$71fdcf10$4f01a8c0 at rtlogic.com> ,
   "Brian C. Olson" <bolson at rtlogic.com> wrote:

=>
=>I have a reason to generate parts of IDL modules into different =
=>directories.
=>Basically, we have some standard IDL that I have pre-generated and =
=>installed
=>into site-packages using a command like:
=>
=>cd /commonidl
=>omniidl -I . -bpython -Wbpackage=coolproduct *
=>ln -s /commonidl/coolproduct site-packages
=>
=>This allows me to do imports like:
=>
=>import coolproduct.modulex.moduley as moduley
=>
=>However, if I want to extend the modulex IDL in a local directory:
=>
=>/someproject/IDL/extended.IDL
=>
=>by doing:
=>
=>cd /someproject/IDL
=>omniidl -I . -I/commonidl -bpython -Wbpackage=coolproduct *
=>
=>I get another directory named coolproduct with another__init__.py.

   You can try adding "-C/commonidl" or something like that to
your second omniidl command. You really want to generate your stubs
into the same directory, especially if they share a module. omniidl
should detect that you are doing this and update the existing files
instead of overwriting them.

					Gary Duzan
					BBN Technologies
					A Verizon Company