[omniORB] Cannot compute sizeof (char) when running ./configure on solaris

Andrew Knapp aknapp at n2bb.com
Wed Sep 10 16:54:27 BST 2003

Hey guys-

I noticed several posts regard the error message:

Cannot compute sizeof (char)

When trying to run configure on my Solaris 8 box.  For me, the problem
was easily solved by installing the "libiconv " solaris package (free
ware package that can be found on Sunfreeware.com).  This installs some
shared libs into /usr/local/lib (libcharset.a, libcharset.la,
libcharset.so, libcharset.so.1, libcharset.so.1.0.0) that are needed for
the configure to complete properly.

I also had to set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib like so:

# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

ADK