[omniORB] tictactoe examples

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Sep 10 15:49:17 BST 2003

On Monday 8 September, "Leonard J. Reder" wrote:

> I have just installed omniORB-4.0.2, python-2.2.2 and omniORBpy-2.2 on a
>   Solaris 2.8 Sun Workstation using gcc 3.3 and associated GNU tools.
> Everything seems to have built fine and found everything on the machine.
>   I started to run the examples and found that the simple echo
> client/server worked fine but when I got to the tictactoe example I have
> found that Threading off the TK mainloop seems to cause a problem.  I
> wrote a small multithreaded python script and verified the Threading
> module in python is ok.  I think there is some unknown swith or
> configureation item I need when building either omniORB or omniORBpy.

It's not an omniORB configuration issue. It's a problem with Tkinter.
For some reason, when the Tk mainloop is started from a thread, it
returns immediately, rather than blocking waiting for the windows to
be closed like it should. Perhaps it's a Solaris TCL/Tk problem?

The example only uses a separate thread for Tk because it was
originally used as an example that would theoretically work with all
Python ORBs, not just omniORB. Try removing the code that starts the
thread and calls orb.run(), and put in a direct call to tkloop()
instead. With any luck, that will avoid the problem.