[omniORB] Problem configuring with --with-omniORB-config

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Sep 10 15:16:30 BST 2003

On Tuesday 2 September, Pablo Alvarez wrote:

> I just suffered for a few hours trying to figure out why my new installation
> of omniORB-4.0.2 could not find its name server. It turns out it could not
> find its config file, although the only diagnostic I got for that was a
> CORBA::NO_RESOURCES exception. Finally I figured out that I had given the
> directory for the file to the configure command, rather than the complete
> pathname including the file itself. Well, the --prefix and
> --with-omniNames-logdir options both take directories... OK, so it was dumb,
> but in the hope of helping fellow dummies I would like to make a couple of
> suggestions:
>
> in README.unix, replace:
>
>  --with-omniORB-config=
>                      Location to look for the omniORB configuration
>                      file. Default /etc/omniORB.cfg

Surely it's obvious that it wants the file name based on the default?

[...]
> Also, change resolve_initial_references so that it prints out some kind of
> informative message when there is no config file, rather than throwing a
> NO_RESOURCES exception.

It is not, in general, an error not to have a configuration file.
Plenty of people run without a config file at all.
resolve_initial_references is required by the CORBA spec to throw
NO_RESOURCES if a service is not available.