[omniORB] Client gets TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed exception.

Jochen Behrens jochen.behrens at barco.com
Mon Sep 1 20:04:17 BST 2003

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Monday 18 August, Jochen Behrens wrote:
>
> > Dependent on the network driver state of the first non-loopback
> > interface of my server host the client application is able to get
> access
> > to a server application or the call returns with the
> > TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed exception. The server host is a gateway and the
> > client is only able to get access via the second network interface.
>
> [...]
> > and restart client and server application the client is not able
> anymore
> > to get access. Each subsequent call returns with the above exception.
> > That puzzles me, because client and server are only connectable via
> > <b-net> and (in my opinion) the state of the other interface shall not
> > affect client/server behaviour.
> >
> > Do I have to initiate a location forward in the client on application
> > level? Maybe I do not understand the concept of multiple network
> support
> > and location forwarding.
>
> What you are doing should work fine, but I think your endpoint
> specifications may be a bit wrong. The trace you posted shows that the
> server actually has three endpoint specifications, two on
> 192.168.207.251, on ports 5555 and 42948, and one on 172.16.1.29, port
> 42949. That's why there are three reports of giopStream::CommFailure
> before the TRANSIENT exception is thrown. The earlier bits of trace
> show that the server is really listening on 172.16.1.29 port 5555.
> What exactly is the endpoint specification you are giving the server?

The enpoint specification is:

serverApp -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:192.168.207.251: -ORBendPoint
giop:tcp:172.16.1.29:

It seems to me, that the first non-loopback interface (which is
192.168.207.251) is always listed prior to the endpoints I explicitly
specify.
But, however, I'm afraid that my problem is more general. If I set
-ORBclientCallTimeOut = 0 on client side, the client is able to get a
connection via the second interface, but it takes a long time (may take
some minutes).  I guess that the ORB only tries to establish a
connection  via another network interface if the TCP layer reports a
network failure. You may take a quick look at another posting I sent on
08/21/2003  with subject  "Latency problems  with redundant networks".
The server is indeed listening on 172.16.1.29 port 5555. because the
client has access to the server via a corbaloc - constructed initial
reference (the client tries all network interfaces unless it gets a
connection). The problem appears if I try to perform requests on object
references that are provided by this initial reference.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Jochen

--