[omniORB] Cannot switch to background (daemon) on Linux

Pánczél Levente Levente.Panczel at compuworx.hu
Wed Oct 29 18:12:13 GMT 2003

Hello again!

>>The solution I would like them most would be that the ORB has two additional services: one for suspending it (meaning it destroys all its threads) and another for resuming normal operation (making it recreate all the threads, and per-thread data structures it need to resume normal operation - without the need to activate/deactivate objects).

>I wonder if it would be worth adding such a non-standard extension to
the ORB, if the same result can be achieved using standard CORBA
facilities (deactivate, destroy, init, activate).

My problem by deactivating and reactivating the ORB is that I need the surviving objects to keep their IOR. I do not use the Naming service, because the system already contains channels through which the clients can get to the server's IOR. And this is why I don't want the Container's OIR to be changed by the workaround. Am I right, that shutdown=>ORB_init=>activate_object would result in the object's IOR being changed?

Another Issue: though I still could not try it, but I think deactivate=>activate is not safe, 'cos as I see with 'ps -A' there are two threads belonging to the server even before I have activated any objects; one of the threads is mine, but I think the other must belong to OmniORB.

Thanks for the explanations and advices so far!
Pánczél, Levente