[omniORB] DHCP problem??

Eva Pérez eperez at gmv.es
Tue Oct 21 11:58:40 BST 2003

Hi!

I hope that someone could help me with this. Thanks in advance.

I have implemented a client-server application using omniORB 3.04
(Server is implemented using C++ and client uses Java). The client and
server processes run on different machines connected through a LAN and
I'm using the omniORB nameserver on the C++ server machine.

All worked fine (so, the java client connected to the c++ server and
they exchange data) until I moved the java client to another machine (to
a laptop with the same operating system Linux 7.3 an connected to the
same LAN) but with the difference that it uses DHCP for IP assignation.

I understand that this would not be a problem, because it could be
possible to communicate two processes using omniORB and the DHCP
protocol, isn't it?
That I don't know is if there's to consider something special with this
configuration...

The communication between the two processes is not pure client-server
communication, I mean first the client connects to the server (this
works, the server machine has a fixed IP…) but the client sends the IOR
reference because later it will act as server for receiving data and the
fail appears when the server uses the received IOR reference for sending
data to the client ("IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COM_FAILURE:1.0"…)

I don´t know if the problem is that the string IOR reference is
generated wrong or that the server doesn’t find the client due to the
DHCP … (with static IP in the two machines all works fine)

Perhaps someone has found this problem before and could help me (I hope) :-)

Thanks in any case to all the people that reads this trying to help me.

Eva.

--

Eva Pérez Fernández
Control Systems (Ins)