[omniORB] Initiating orbs in multiple environments.

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Oct 17 18:57:32 BST 2003

On Thursday 9 October, "Robert Summerlin" wrote:

> I am attempting to initialize 3 orbs ( which will reside on three
> separate ,i.e, dev08:2809, dev10:2809, dev11:2809) using the below
> code segment.  Server names and port combinations are passed from
> the arrayList.  My code is compiling successfully however during
> run-time only the first orb is working properly.

I think you're confused by your terminology. I think you mean that you
are starting three servers on three different machines, and each
machine is running omniNames. Then you're trying to contact the three
servers via the three name services, from a single client.

The problem you have is that the ORB is a singleton, so you can't
initialise more than one. That's why you can only contact your first
object. The correct thing to do is to initialise a single ORB without
bothering to configure a name service. Then, give the three name
service references as corbaname URIs to orb->string_to_object.

Aside from that, it is usual to run just one naming service, and have
all your servers register themselves in that.