[omniORB] orb shutdown hangs in giopServer::deactivate()

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli at tecnotp.it
Fri Oct 17 17:30:10 BST 2003

Hi all,
    further on this subject: all troubles seem related to the method
giopServer::notifyWkDone(), which is called after an incoming request has
been fully dispatched (from giopWorker.cc:218).
This method was likely designed to be entered with exit_on_error = 1 after
connection shutdown by client has been detected. Then connection and worker
are shut down as well.
However, it happens that there might be late workers still busy in some
work: then notifyWkDone is entered after their dispatching is terminated.
Workers are removed correctly, but there is no check about current worker
being the very last one for this connection (like it happens at line 881).
Hence connection survives anyway. Under default thread policies, we have
conn->pd_has_dedicated_thread = 1: at line #942 we remove the last worker,
and that's it (from a debugging session).
A dirty fix might insert some delay on each client, after all closing calls
and before orb->shutdown.
However I guess that a correct fix would require that the worker detecting
any connection shutdown, should wait on a cond. var. until all other
concurrent workers finish their work before taking any cleanup action.
Actually I don't know whether there is such a cond. var. already in place or
some touching is needed.
Any comment will be appreciated,

Renzo Tomaselli