[omniORB] Newbie having win32 installation problems

JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen) jhje at novonordisk.com
Wed Oct 15 11:57:43 BST 2003

Hi Michael.

> We have installed ActivePython 2.2.2 so that part seems to work fine.
> However, when I install omniORB and try to compile an idl file, I get
> the following:
>
> =======
> C:\Courses\AY2004-Autumn-DS520\pythoneg1>omniidl -bpython
> example_echo.idl
> omniidl: Could not import back-end 'python'
> omniidl: Maybe you need to use the -p option?
> omniidl: (The error was 'No module named python')
>
> C:\Courses\AY2004-Autumn-DS520\pythoneg1>
> =======

Seems like you have your path wrong. You have installed both omniORB and
omniORBpy. To use python you only need omniORBpy (or you should have
omniORB and omniORBpy libraries the same place I guess - I am not
familiar with running both).

> Path=C:\omniORB-4.0.2\bin\x86_win32;C:\Python22\.;C:\Program

Your path does not include omniORBpy libraries so that must be why the
IDL compiler does not pick up the python backend. Here's what I have
done on a server that uses ActivePython 2.2 and omniORBpy2.1 - note that
it does not have the full C++ omniORB installed.

Hope this gives you inspiration to your setup.

Cheers

-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark
______________________
Python 2.2
==========
Installed "ActivePython-2.2.2-224-win32-ix86". All default settings
accepted.

omniORBpy 2.1
=============
Downloaded omniORBpy from http://sourceforge.net/projects/omniorb.
Unpacked zip-file to "C:\Program Files\" and then

Added a system environment variable PYTHONPATH = "c:\program
files\omniORBpy-2.1\lib\x86_win32\;c:\program
files\omniORBpy-2.1\lib\python"

Added "c:\program files\omniORBpy-2.1\bin\x86_win32" to system PATH.

Added the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\omniORB] and to that
the string "InitRef" with value
"NameService=corbaname::cos-name-server.novo.dk".
[cos-name-server.novo.dk points to our corba name server]

After starting Python, you should be able to do "from omniORB import
CORBA" without errors.

[And added some site-specific stuff to PYTHONPATH]