[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.3 and omniORBpy 2.3 available

Johan Cronje jcronje at dsp.sun.ac.za
Wed Nov 26 19:43:34 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 18:41, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

I have done a successful run with the last part of the spec file commented
out (as per previous mail). However in the bootscripts rpm the omniNames
script is not executable so the installation is carried out (and the file
copied) but chkconfig fails because omniNames is not executable - so
I am doing another run with an addition to the spec file (see below).

> I would suggest flipping the test to check for SuSE; what do you find
> for useful variables such as "_real_vendor" when you run
>    rpm --showrc
> ?

michelle:~ # rpm --showrc |grep "vendor"
- -14: _build_vendor      %{_host_vendor}
- -14: _host_vendor       suse
- -14: _target_platform   %{_target_cpu}-%{_vendor}-%{_target_os}
- -14: _target_vendor     %{_host_vendor}
- -14: _vendor    suse

> Ah, it is time to try the next set of RPM tricks :)
>
> When something fails in the middle, you can skip steps leading up to it
> and pick up at the phase which failed. Here are some combinations I use
> (with comments):
>
> Failed after build, so start at "install":
>    rpm -bi --short-circuit omniORB.spec

This works (up to the same point as before)

> Failed during packaging (usually due to missing or ignored files):
>    rpm -bb --short-circuit omniORB.spec
>    rpm -bs --short-circuit omniORB.spec

These do the same as rpm -ba (dunno why).

> > BuildArch:      i586
>
> Do you need to specify the architecture? Your distro probably has a
> default value (?).

It defaults to i386. Maybe that can cause the problems? (Wild Guess)

> > # on SuSE, /etc/rc.d -> /etc/init.d/
> > mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/init.d
> > cp etc/init.d/omniNames $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/init.d/
>
> We can integrate this one with the "suse" conditional test mentioned above.

You also need (for some reason) to do the following:

chmod a+x $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc/init.d/omniNames

> > # install SuSE rc start script
> > mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/sbin
> > ln -sf ../../etc/init.d/omniNames $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/sbin/rcomniNames
>
> I *think* this one should go into the post-installation section for boot
> scripts. I've had trouble getting soft links to stay "soft" when
> packaging if I just use the %files section to solve it.

I found that the link stays symbolic after I installed my bootscripts rpm.
I checked through suse's hotplug src rpm spec file for clues as to how to
insert the rcomniNames link.

> > #%files -n %{name}-doc
> > #%defattr(-,root,root)
> > #%doc doc/*
>
> If things are failing here, please send the text of the RPM output. Not
> sure what the problem with the spec file might be, except perhaps SuSE
> looks for something a bit different.

Will do. I am busy with a run that reincludes them and does not specify the
architecture (like the first time I did a successful run).

Greets
Johan
- --
"There is beauty in simplicity"		-- Johan Cronje
Johan Cronje
Digital Signal Processing / Telecommunications Group
Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department
University of Stellenbosch
http://www.dsp.sun.ac.za/~jcronje
GNUPG Key: http://www.dsp.sun.ac.za/~jcronje/jcronje.asc