[omniORB] AMI and porting to Playstation

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Tue Nov 25 09:32:42 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:37:24AM -0700, Kevin Wooten wrote:
> I am in the middle of porting omniORB to the Playstation 2, I don't mean
> Linux on the Playstation, I mean using the raw kernel, which is the problem.
> I thought about the licensing and realized it precludes me from doing this!!

If you keep the software for internal use (private and/or
company), the GPL/LGPL don't force you to publish the
source code.  If you publish the software, you have to
publish the source code as well, but only to the customer,
not necessarily to the open.  Maybe your customer has the
right to have the SDK information anyway?

> I cannot provide the source code to the public domain, as much as I would
> love to. This is mostly a Sony issue, in that I am not allowed under any
> circumstances to provide information to non-licensed developers about SDK
> information. I am just checking to see if there is a way around this or not?

Naive approch: ask Sony for an exception.  Obviously their
current license terms are a terrible limitation for you, not
omniORBs license terms, right?  Good luck!

W. Borgert <debacle at debian.org>, not a lawyer!