[omniORB] compiling v4.0.x with MSVC++ v5 sp3

baileyk at schneider.com baileyk at schneider.com
Fri Nov 21 09:29:15 GMT 2003

I have had success with some proof of concept code, using the omniORB
v4.0.2 binary release for Windows and using MSVC++ v5 for all my own
compilation/linking.  I'm not familiar with Microsoft tools enough to know
what their link-compatibility/ABI/name-mangling policies are for major
releases of their C++ compiler.  So I don't know if mixing v5 and v6
binaries is considered safe, even if not officially supported since v5 is
out of support anyway.  I've tried to google for an answer, but didn't find
it.  In any case I don't like using a binary release of omniORB that I can
not patch and recompile from source if the need arises, although it may
turn out that's what I do.

Kendall

                      Duncan Grisby
                      <duncan at grisby.or        To:       baileyk at schneider.com
                      g>                       cc:       omniorb-list at omniorb-support.com
                                               Fax to:
                      11/21/2003 06:13         Subject:  Re: [omniORB] compiling v4.0.x with MSVC++ v5 sp3
                      AM

On Thursday 13 November, baileyk at schneider.com wrote:

> As I commented out the lines which caused the internal compiler errors,
> eventually I got more mundane errors concerning socket structure field
> names.  So my opinion at this point is that the combination of omniORB
> v4.0.x and MSVC++ v5 sp3 would be very challenging to make work.  I'd
> suggest removing all mention of MSVC++ v5 from the READMEs.

I don't have convenient access to VC++ 5, so I can't have a go
myself. Can anyone confirm what Kendall says?  If so, and assuming
nobody can come up with a sensible work-around, I'll update the list
of supported platforms.

Kendall (or anyone else), are you able to see if libraries compiled
with VC++ 6 work with VC++ 5?