[omniORB] omniORB on .NET ?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Nov 21 12:26:12 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 18 November, "Lars von Wedel" wrote:

>  > I don't know enough about C# and how (if?) it interfaces with C++, but
>  > it's probably possible to do a C# mapping in the same way omniORBpy
>  > provides a mapping for Python. It's not a small amount of work,
>  > though. If you just want access to a few specific CORBA things, it's
>  > probably quite easy to write code to map from C++ to a set of C#
>  > things.
>
> Interfacing to C is fairly easy in C#/.net, but C++ is more difficult as it
> would have to go through COM. Maybe a C wrapper around certain things in
> omniORB would be feasible.

Going through COM would definitely be a bad idea. The way to do it
would be to write C wrappers around the bits of omniORB required, then
interface to the C from C#.

> What is roughly the part that would need to be done in C# for a minimal
> protoype? Is it mostly type handling like marshalling and unmarshalling?

There would be two ways to do it. One would be to work at the same
kind of level as omniORBpy, and write your own marshalling code in C#
(plus C interfaces to the omniORB C++). The alternative would be to
generate normal C++ stubs and skeletons for the IDL, then wrap those
from C#. In either scheme, you would also need to wrap object
references and servants so they could be shared by C++ and C#.