[omniORB] omniORB on .NET ?

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Nov 18 16:02:59 GMT 2003

On Monday 17 November, "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" wrote:

> Just wondering where we are all left, when all Windows machines run .NET
> ?
>
> http://www.go-gen.com/GG_DE/products/freegee/modules/omniorb_html.html
>
> seems to claim that C# support in omniORB is in the works. Is that true
> or shouldn't we hold our breaths ?

If someone's working on C# support for omniORB, they didn't tell me.

I don't speak German, but that page seems to list all the standard
CORBA language mappings, not just the ones omniORB supports.

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/remoting-corba/
>
> is another thing that looks promising, but I'd rather use omniORB's
> well-tested runtime under my .NET clients and servers. What are my
> options ? Wrap the omniORB runtime in .NET classes that call into
> unmanaged C++ and wait for a final IDL-C# mapping ?

I don't know enough about C# and how (if?) it interfaces with C++, but
it's probably possible to do a C# mapping in the same way omniORBpy
provides a mapping for Python. It's not a small amount of work,
though. If you just want access to a few specific CORBA things, it's
probably quite easy to write code to map from C++ to a set of C#
things.