[omniORB] request for dropping site-packages/PortableServer* from omniorbpy

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Nov 17 10:11:32 GMT 2003

On Monday 17 November, "W. Borgert" wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:54:40AM +0100, Rene Jager wrote:

> > would be nice if omniORBpy and pyton-orbit would both have a seperate
> > package for the top-level parts (not that I really need it; I only use
> > omniORBpy ;-)

That is what I suggested the last time this came up:

  http://www.omniorb-support.com/pipermail/omniorb-list/2003-August/024030.html

> In Debian, we have the so-called 'alternative system'.  The
> admin can switch between different defaults, e.g. whether
> nvi, or vim, or elvis, or vile, is the vi editor, while
> having all of the installed.  In the same way, both pyORBit
> and omniORBpy could have their CORBA.py etc. in ORB-specific
> subdirectories and symlinks from either one to the top-level
> site-packages.  Python applications that are "pure CORBA"
> will work with either ORB, applications that make use of
> ORB-specific stuff have to use the ORB-specific files
> anyway.  I don't know how this is handled in RedHat etc.

RedHat does the same thing, inspired by Debian. It wouldn't quite work
to just have a symlink from site-packages/CORBA.py to
site-packages/omniORB/CORBA.py, though, since then the CORBA module
wouldn't have the correct idea about where it came from.

This is definitely a packaging issue, rather than an issue for the
omniORBpy release. I can't take the top-level modules out of the
omniORBpy distribution, since that would break backwards compatibility
for everyone using the standard "import CORBA". Even if the mapping
spec is revised to change that, I still won't do it in a minor
release. It would have to wait for the next major release of
omniORBpy.