[omniORB] request for dropping site-packages/PortableServer* from omniorbpy

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Mon Nov 17 08:52:36 GMT 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:54:40AM +0100, Rene Jager wrote:
> would be nice if omniORBpy and pyton-orbit would both have a seperate
> package for the top-level parts (not that I really need it; I only use
> omniORBpy ;-)

Yes, and because more and more people use GNOME and
distributions install GNOME, pyORBit becomes the standard
Python ORB.  Which is not bad, but just cannot replace
omniORBpy (threading problems, no omniINSPOA, ...).

> it would be even nicer if there will be a way to solve this in a way
> that one can switch by means of a setting runtime (in python script) or
> an environment variable.

In Debian, we have the so-called 'alternative system'.  The
admin can switch between different defaults, e.g. whether
nvi, or vim, or elvis, or vile, is the vi editor, while
having all of the installed.  In the same way, both pyORBit
and omniORBpy could have their CORBA.py etc. in ORB-specific
subdirectories and symlinks from either one to the top-level
site-packages.  Python applications that are "pure CORBA"
will work with either ORB, applications that make use of
ORB-specific stuff have to use the ORB-specific files
anyway.  I don't know how this is handled in RedHat etc.

W. Borgert <debacle at debian.org>