[omniORB] request for dropping site-packages/PortableServer* from omniorbpy

Rene Jager renej.frog at yucom.be
Mon Nov 17 08:54:40 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 02:28, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > maybe it's a solution (compromise) to have an option for configure to
> > skip installing the standard conformant files in site-packages
> > directory?
> > That option can than be used by distributions to install omniORBpy and
> > other python CORBA impl's so that they all can live side-by-side...
>
> Well if they did that they would be living outside the law, since afaict
> they would no longer conform to the standard python mapping defined by
> the OMG. Until the standard changes, you should not be allowed to have
> both ORBs available in the same namespace.

sometimes law makers make mistakes...

> You *could* install them into separate areas, then use extra code or
> environment variables to access them in a standards-compliant way (since
> the standard does not forbid manipulating the lookup path from outside
> the program).
>
> Is anyone in touch with the pyorbit folks to see if they would be
> willing to package their RPMs with an extra module containing that
> top-level set of files which cause the conflict? Then one could
> optionally install a subset which does not conflict. But until both
> packages do it then there would seem to be much room for trouble...

would be nice if omniORBpy and pyton-orbit would both have a seperate
package for the top-level parts (not that I really need it; I only use
omniORBpy ;-)
it would be even nicer if there will be a way to solve this in a way
that one can switch by means of a setting runtime (in python script) or
an environment variable.

renej