[omniORB] omniORB4 on small systems (exclude the BOA?)

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Sun Nov 16 20:51:30 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 11 November, "W. Borgert" wrote:

> I'm just trying to set up omniORB4 for a system with low memory.
> Because I don't need all features of omniORB, I would like to
> exclude them.  E.g. I don't need the BOA.  Questions:
>
> 1. What other features are maybe not necessary for a simple,
>    modern CORBA server and could be omitted?

Of the top of my head, you could quite easily get rid of the
following...

 - bidirectional GIOP
 - GIOP 1.1 and 1.2
 - Fixed point
 - parser for the configuration file

Plus, of course, the entire omniDynamic library.

> 2. How do I have to tweak the build process to exclude the BOA
>    and/or other features?

Remove the relevant source files from the dir.mk file. Try to build.
Fix the errors with undefined symbols. Repeat. :-)

> 3. What experiences do other people have with this approach?
>    (E.g. excluding the BOA saves only 100 bytes, excluding the
>    BOA leads to random crashes, since I excluded the BOA I have
>    stronger hair...)

Making the feature set configurable at build time was one of the
projects planned for omniORB at AT&T Labs Cambridge. The lab closed
before we did anything, so I don't have any experience with that.