[omniORB] TRANSIENT or COMM_FAILURE

Serguei Kolos Serguei.Kolos at cern.ch
Tue Nov 11 13:16:07 GMT 2003

>>I have raised the issue about these exceptions in the comp.object.corba
>>newsgroup.
>>Here are my questions the answers of Michi Henning. Do you agree with
>>his opinion?
>>

>See Jon Biggar's response to Michi in comp.object.corba.
>
>COMM_FAILURE means the communication failed between sending a request
>and getting a response. When using an existing connection, it is not
>until the ORB tries to receive the response that it is able to see
>that the connection has gone. COMM_FAILURE is therefore the correct
>exception to throw.

See the answer of Michi to Jon Biggar's response in comp.object.corba.

I would agree with Michi that there is a difference between two situations:
1. application gets error trying to write to a socket (TRANSIENT)
2. applications gets error trying to read the replay from socket
(COMM_FAILURE)
I'm not a TCP/IP expert, so I don't know is it always possible to
distinguish between
these two situations?

Cheers,
Sergei