[omniORB] Re: At wits end - SEGFAULT on RH 8, runs fine on RH 6.2

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri May 30 14:20:19 BST 2003

On Friday 23 May, Mike Mascari wrote:

> I figured it out. It was broken code on my part. But now I'm not sure
> why it worked on RedHat 6.2?? I have IDL which looks like this:

[...]
> typedef sequence<Person> Persons;

[...]
> I then derive a C++ class from the IDL-generated Persons class and
> another class which provides database services (in fact, the IDL and
> C++ class are generated from the database schema):

The C++ mapping does not permit you to do things like that. Perhaps it
should, but that's the way it is.

[...]
> A) Why does Version #1 above work under RedHat 6.2?

Who knows. Lucky with the way gcc 2.95 works, I suppose.

> B) Is there a way I can derive a class from the IDL generated classes
> for unbounded sequences and return the sequences as results without a
> deep copy taking place?

Don't derive a class. Why not just create a class that has a member
that is the sequence type?

If you need to move data from one sequence to another without copying,
look at the get_buffer and replace functions, and the constructor that
takes a buffer.