[omniORB] ORBit and OMNIORB interoperability

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Fri May 16 09:51:40 BST 2003

Chris McGee wrote:
 > In this case, I'm not too interested in the naming
 > service because I can get the IOR from another source.
 > I'm having severe problems with GIOP/IIOP. The ORBit
 > code just seems to crash all of the time with
 > segfaults. I'm not sure if it is the case that ORBit
 > has a very poor GIOP implementation or if OMNIORB is
 > sending it invalid messages and is causing the
 > segfaults.
 >
 > If it's ORBit that is the problem, then how could
 > ORBit<->ORBit communication work so well in GNOME? It
 > would presumably have to use GIOP as well for this
 > sort of communication.

Well, the IIOP leaves some space for ORB specific data layout,
notably in the IOR. It just so happens that ORBit uses one
(legal) way which may be the only way it can interpret, and
each time it comes across another (equally legal) sequence
it can't handle it any more.

That's a rather typical situation I think.

Whatever is the reason for this, the ORB should *never*
crash in its IIOP input handling, or else any rogue client
can kill your application.

Regards,
		Stefan