[omniORB] Locating OmniORB Services via Multicast

Thomas A. Moulton tmoulton at eoir.com
Thu May 15 10:20:31 BST 2003

  Does omniORB provide the ability to locate services (e.g., Naming
Service) using Multicast similar to how the TAO Naming Service can be
located?  I assume the answer is NO due to the fact that I can find no
written documentation on this; however, I thought I'd ask to be certain.
 I found a posting (Dated OCT 1999) from the omniORB mailing list
archive which states ...

Duncan Grisby wrote:
>/
/>/ On Monday 11 October, Jonathan Gallmeier wrote:
/>/
/>/ > This might be a silly question, but I have not seen any info about this.
/>/ > Does omniORB
/>/ > support (UDP) IP multicast?
/>/
/>/ No it does not. For normal CORBA requests, multicast would not be
/>/ useful, since a CORBA request has a single target object. Multicast
/>/ could be useful for event or notification services which are layered
/>/ on top of CORBA, but we have no plans to support such things.
/>/
/>/ What in particular do you wish to achieve?/

I was hoping things may have changed between now and then?  The
following is an excerpt from
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/docs/INS.html
describing how Multicast based service location is used in TAO, for
reference.

>         How does |resolve_initial_references| work ?
>
> The following is the order of mechanisms checked by
> |resolve_initial_references| for locating a service:
>
>    1. ORBInitRef
>       <http://www.cs.wustl.edu/%7Eschmidt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/docs/INS.html#oir>
>
>    2. ORBDefaultInitRef
>       <http://www.cs.wustl.edu/%7Eschmidt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/docs/INS.html#odir>
>
>    3. ORB Default Settings
>    4. Multicast to Service
>
> TAO uses the ACE_Hash_Map_Manager to keep track of the ObjectID:IOR
> mappings specified on the command-line. The IOR could be in |IOR|,
> |iiop|, or |corbaloc| format. If the ORB fails to resolve the IOR
> using the command-line parameters or the default settings, it uses UDP
> multicast to resolve the service.

Thanks,

Tom Moulton