[omniORB] Events

Jerome Kerdreux Jerome.Kerdreux at finix.eu.org
Wed May 14 15:43:04 BST 2003

Hi all,

I'm wondering how to do this with omniORB :
In fact I use a server code that do severals things,
but the last thing i want it to do, is to call
a callback in the client side when something occur.

Right now this is done like that:
on the client side somebody wrote a Callback interface, and
create a object with, the next step we activate this
object in the POA Manager and register this in the
server side with something like that:
server.register_event(callback)
So when event occur on the server side, is will look
if a client has register a callback for this event
and if so send it to the client thought the callback
function.

I don't really like this approach cause i want to
have a clear API on the client side. So i look at
other approach. I looked at omniNotify but as they
don't have a win32 port i can't use this so i
switched back on omniEvents. But i have some
trouble w/ :
- GNUMakefiles cause they aren't build w/ the
  ./configure (so i had to edit them all)

- the name services sometimes give me this :
  'giop:tcp:127.0.0.1:2809. Detected GIOP 1.2 protocol error in
  input message. Connection is closed.'
  (not every time)

- I don't really know if it's the best way to do
  this (as soon i's the first time i use a Event service)

Thanks for any help

----
Apologizes for my awfull english
Big Thanks to Duncan for his job :)