[omniORB] beginner orb.shutdown question

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon May 12 17:53:56 BST 2003

On Thursday 8 May, Daniel Greenblatt wrote:

> I'm unclear as to exactly what a call to ORB.shutdown does, and how this
> differs from orb.destroy

shutdown() merely stops incoming and outgoing calls from happening.
destroy() cleans up ORB resources. With shutdown(), you can elect not
to block waiting for shutdown to complete, which is essential for
shutting down within an operation implementation. destroy() always
waits for completion.

> Once the ORB is shut down, is it possible to start it back up again?

Yes, but only if you also destroy() it first, and only with omniORB
4.0.x / omniORBpy 2.x.