[omniORB] beginner orb.shutdown question

Daniel Greenblatt dan at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu May 8 18:18:18 BST 2003

I'm unclear as to exactly what a call to ORB.shutdown does, and how this
differs from orb.destroy

Once the ORB is shut down, is it possible to start it back up again?
Here's the sequence of calls I'm making, and I'm running into an error:

self.orb = CORBA.ORB_init(argv, CORBA.ORB_ID)
(...do corba stuff...)
self.orb.shutdown(0)
(the object that self refers to is deleted...)
(...need to restart ORB, now self is a seperate instance...)
self.orb = CORBA.ORB_init(argv, CORBA.ORB_ID)

and I get a:
File "Collaboratory/Node.py", line 272, in StartPOA
    self.poa = self.orb.resolve_initial_references('RootPOA')
  File "/usr/local/chimera1700/share/omni/omniORB/CORBA.py", line 486, in
resolve_initial_references
    return _omnipy.orb_func.resolve_initial_references(self, identifier)
BAD_INV_ORDER: Minor: 1330446340, Completed: COMPLETED_NO.

There must be something fundamental that I'm not understanding. Is it
possible to shutdown and restart an ORB??

Thank you,
Dan Greenblatt