[omniORB] Object type returned from resolve()

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Fri May 2 15:29:01 2003

On Wednesday 30 April, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> Was the change in behavior intentional? I'm not seeing mention of this
> in release notes, on the web site, or in searching the mailing lists,
> though of course I could have missed it.

No, the change was not intentional. If you look closely at the output
from omniORBpy 2.0, you'll see that the type of the object is actually
NamingContextExt, not NamingContext. The thing that went wrong with
2.1 was caused by the new generation of all COS stubs. The core
omniORB distribution has two versions of the naming service IDL, one
in idl/Naming.idl and one in idl/COS/CosNaming.idl. The one in COS/
had not been updated with the definition of NamingContextExt.

I've fixed the idl file in CVS, so now it will work again. Note that
for the change to take effect, you need to update your omniORB
checkout, install it, then install omniORBpy again, so the new IDL
file is picked up.

It's good to get in the habit of narrowing things, though, just in
case one day you get an object with an interface derived from
NamingContext, which the receiver doesn't know about.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --