[omniORB] Problems with Java to C++ connection

bjorn rohde jensen bjensen@fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 31 21:23:01 2003

Hi Nadav,

  The problem with contacting the CORBA NameService
using JDK is quite likely to be due to the sun ORBs
proprietary INIT bootstrap mechanism. OmniORB has
support for this dubious feature, but in OmniORB4
it is disabled by default. Try to check your config
file.
  I seem to recall something about the JDK ORB having
a fascinating protocol negotiation feature, where it
claims to support GIOP 1.1 or 1.2, but actually chokes
on such traffic with a marshal exception. Limiting
OmniORB to using GIOP 1.0 should avoid the problem.
Try to search the mailing list archives, there should
be some old posts about this.
  I would recommend using one of the nice opensource
java ORBs around such as OpenORB or JacORB. I can not
think of anything nice to say about the JDK ORB;)

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn