[omniORB] Omni on PlayStation2

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed Mar 26 18:15:03 2003

On Wednesday 26 March, "Ulf Stoermer" wrote:

> this is not a joke, yes, currently I'm trying to port Omni4 to Sony
> PlayStation2.

That sounds like fun...

> However, when it comes to using the NamingService big trouble arrises.
> Let's look at two different scenarios:
>
> 1. OmniNames is running on a different computer:
> When running eg3_impl on the Playstation I can see in the trace of
> omniNames that actually the first GIOP message arrives but upon that
> it never replies anything.

That's very odd indeed. What does the trace on the client show?  Does
the Linux omniNames work correctly with a Linux client?

[...]
> 2. scenario: Both, eg3_impl and omniNames running on PlayStation:
> In this case omniNames is slightly more eloquent but will soon seg fault
> after a short 'dialog'. Here the trace of omniNames:

That looks like everything is working as it should, right up until the
segfault. I don't suppose you can run it under gdb?

> Sony sells a Linux tool kit for the PlayStation which ships with a
> quite ancient gcc 2.95.2. Hardwarewise that thing is equipped with
> a MIPS R5900 processor.

I'd be rather concerned about whether that ancient gcc on that
processor supported thread safe exception handling. The segfault you
are seeing might be due to that.

> P.S.: If you think that PlayStation is a freaky platform for Omni how
> about this then: Last week I successfully ported it to Sharp Zaurus.

Great!  Do you have any patches?

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --