[omniORB] feature or bug? - pointer to returned value is null

Adrian Rosoga adirosoga@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 15:10:03 2003

Hello.

I would like to know in what circumstances the return
value (the pointer to the returned structure) from a
remote method is null. The returned value is a pointer
to a structure containing variable length data. See
the code at the end of the message.

Also, I would ask that question, is this a feature or
a bug? I would expect a CORBA exception is thrown if
any problem is encountered; if not, 'response' should
always be valid. When does it happen that no exception
is thrown but the return value is null?

I'm using omniORB4 on a Solaris machine (SunOs 5.8).
Everything compiled with Forte. CORBA is quite
intensively used, the machine is at his limits. It
looks like the problem is more likely to occur if the
machine is overloaded.

Regards,
Adrian

---

Code in the client:

submitRes* response; // struct containing some strings

try {
  response = myServer->submit(params);
}
catch (...) {
  cerr << "Caught an exception";
}

if (response == NULL)
  cerr << "Why is this null? When is this null?";