[omniORB] cannot marshal a null fixed

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Mon Mar 10 14:19:02 2003

Duncan,

> It is not legal to have a fixed typecode with zero digits. It's wrong
> that you should be able to create one. I've checked in a fix that
> throws BAD_PARAM if you try to create a fixed typecode with digits of
> zero.

this sounds strange. All of:

CORBA::Fixed f;
CORBA::Fixed f(0);
CORBA::Fixed f("0");

etc. yield the same null fixed, thus they are invalid. This look like a
funny numeric system which considers the zero value as an exception.
What about generating a 1-digit, 0-scale fixed instead in all such cases?
I have already found several usage situations where a fixed value - usually
input as a string - must be filtered out to exclude zero as an exceptional
value.
Thanks,

Renzo Tomaselli