[omniORB] string_to_object question

Gary Duzan gduzan@bbn.com
Wed Mar 5 16:20:03 2003

In Message <03AD0BE3A983D311A26400508B6BFB1003222AB1@XCGCA043> ,
   "Lee, Robert C." <RLee@northropgrumman.com> wrote:

=>Hi all,
=>
=>I noticed I can't write the following code:
=>
=>        CORBA::Object_var obj = orb->string_to_object("file://ns.ior");
=>
=>if I wanted to read in the name service IOR. This is allowed in TAO but I
=>get a "bad param" error when I run this. Is this not acceptable in omniORB?
=>And if this is not allowed, then I assume the URL form of this is also not
=>allowed.

   Even as recent as the CORBA 3.0.2 spec, only the IOR:, corbaname:,
and corbaloc: URLs are standard. file://, ftp://, and http:// URLs are
reserved and optional in CORBA 3.0.2, per section 13.6.10.7, so portable
code can't rely on them being supported by the ORB.

					Gary Duzan
					BBN Technologies
					A Verizon Company