[omniORB] No connection to Naming Service from omniORB client

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed Mar 5 16:17:02 2003

On Monday 3 March, RKOSS@Opto22.com wrote:

> I have my name service (Nokia name service, tnameserve.exe) running on
> machine A and my client using omniORB running on machine B. I fail to
> generate a NameContext object. I worry that I may be calling ORB_Init
> incorrectly. Here are a few sections of code:

tnameserve.exe is almost certainly the JDK 1.3 name service. If it is,
it doesn't support the interoperable naming service, so a corbaname
URI won't work. You should specify the initial references with
-ORBbootstrapAgentHostname 10.192.0.107 -ORBbootstrapAgentPort 900, to
use the proprietary Sun bootstrap agent.

[...]
> I sniff network communications because I expected to see the _narrow()
> method make a TCP connection to the Naming Service, then send a GIOP
> LocateRequest packet. But I don't even see the TCP connection attempt. This
> leads me to believe that I didn't initialialize correctly. Maybe the ORB
> doesn't know where the Name Service is?

I would have expected you to see omniORB try to connect, and then fail
when the object key was wrong. Try running the omniORB client with
-ORBtraceLevel 40 to see what it is doing.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --