[omniORB] newbie quick queries

Karl Waclawek karl at waclawek.net
Mon Jun 30 15:45:03 BST 2003

> Hi Karl,
>
> This is just an example I made up. The project I am thinking of doing
> with omniORB is remote configuration and monitoring of machines,
> whatever they might be. An admin would use a client that runs locally on
> his/her machine to configure and or monitor machines that come under his
> or her supervision.
>
> Another example is lets say I want to create a new user, lets say Karl,
> under 10 *nix. For my local box I would create Karl + whatever is
> needed, select all those 10 machines that you need access to, push a
> button and all those 10 *nix would have Karl added to them.
>
> In this scenario, I would have an object called createuser running on
> 100's of machines. I the manager would only have to select a subset of
> those machines from my local client, set you up, and I am done.

I understand.
I think you still should at least have some centralized registry of
those machines. This could be some server app where they all register
themselves when they are up and running. Then your admin client could
either contact them directly (with the help of the registry), or instead,
have the centralized server app apply the changes to these machines.
If the server app has this capability then you could also do delayed
configurations for machines that are offline, that is, the server app
applies your changes once those machines re-connect to the network.

Karl