[omniORB] newbie quick queries

Karl Waclawek karl at waclawek.net
Mon Jun 30 15:00:28 BST 2003

> Hi all,
>
> First thing first, thank you all for your help.. it definitely helps and
> answers quite a few questions that I may have. I might have been unclear
> on my little test I previously describe and will try again with
> something more specific and hopefully clearer.
>
> Let say I wrote a simple servant object that can set the clock of the
> machine it currently runs on. I have many machines, running different
> OSs, all of them having that servant object up and running.
>
> I have 1 client sitting on a box somewhere where its purpose is to set
> the clock of any machines that have the servant object available. For
> example, a user would enter a clock value in the client, press enter
> then all clocks on all machine would be set to that value, or close to it.
>
> The important part for me is to write a single object that can be
> distributed to many machines, then accessed/controlled by one client.

Why don't you reverse the roles of client and server?
Each machine runs a client, which registers itself on the server
through some callback interface. When the time gets set on the server,
the servant loops through all registered callback interfaces and calls
a method on them which sets the time on the corresponding machine.

Karl