[omniORB] newbie quick queries

FountainB at switch.aust.com FountainB at switch.aust.com
Mon Jun 30 14:46:48 BST 2003

Eric Damphousse wrote:
> When I deactivate the servant object running on my Solaris box, and run
> the client, all works beautifully, i.e. the servant object running on
the Linux
> system responds correctly. If I start the servant object on my Solaris
box
> then rerun the client, I get a CORBA::SystemException:
N5CORBA12COMM_FAILUREE
> on the client and a core dump of my servant object on the Solaris box,
and I am not to
> sure why. My guess is that my name service is not properly setup, i.e.
is it not specific
> enough. I have a few ideas that might fix the problem, but I cant say I
feel at ease
> with them. So my question is how does one deal with such a setup in a
CORBA
> way of doing things?

If both server processes are identical, and are both registering their
servants with
the same name, then whichever server runs last will be the one registered
in the
naming service. Since your Solaris server crashes in response to your
client
request, it seems reasonable to assume that the client was able to resolve
the
servant's object reference from the naming service entry, so I doubt that
the problem
lies with the naming service. Perhaps you could post the server code? And
print
a debug message as the first line of the operation, so you can check
whether the
correct object/operation was resolved. If the server crashes during the
operation
then the client will receive a COMM_FAILURE - no surprises there.

Bruce Fountain
Senior Software Engineer
Union Switch & Signal
Perth, Western Australia