[omniORB] GIOP protocol error.

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jun 20 15:53:50 BST 2003

On Wednesday 11 June, "Daniel Bell" wrote:

> After some debugging, I have found that the client sends a message
> (representing the _narrow() method) to the name service which is in
> GIOP 1.0 format. The omniNames trace shows the receipt of this
> message and a subsequent response, which is also in GIOP 1.0
> format. However, the client trace shows that the received message is
> in GIOP 1.2 format and indicates a "close connection" message rather
> than "response" message. The protocol error is picked up in
> src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/giopImpl10.cc:218 (function
> giopImpl10::inputMessageBegin()).

That's really bizarre. I don't understand why the client thinks it's
receiving a different message than the one the server says it is
sending. Are you able to use a packet sniffer (e.g. Ethereal) to snoop
the traffic that is really going between them?  I don't think it can
be anything to do with timeouts, since omniORB doesn't behave that
way.