[omniORB] Problems with omniEvent

bjorn rohde jensen bjensen at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 19 12:07:14 BST 2003

Hi there,

  OmniEvents is due for a major overhaul, i will start on
porting to the POA mapping today. I expect a good deal
of features to be reevaulated and possibly removed in
this process, the persistence mechanism is not likely
to be removed as such, but some simplification is in
order, i think.
  The direction i intend to move omniEvents is towards
small memory footprint and high performance rather than
features, as i believe, that to be the core functionality
of the EventService. If one want features, surely one would
choose the NotificationService instead.
  You are of course quite welcome to hack around in omniEvents
to solve your immeadiate problems etc. I would very
much like to hear peoples opinion about requirements not
specified by the standard etc. Things i am wondering about
are typed events, is anyone at all using those? How often
do people create and destroy event channels? How often do
people need a persistent event service? Performance requirements
in terms of the number of events pushed a second would be
nice too. One requirement already high on the list is
enabling the use of SSLIOP.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn