[omniORB] A newbie question (well, maybe more than one)

Eric Damphousse ericdamphousse at darwingroup.net
Wed Jun 18 18:13:36 BST 2003

Hi all,

I am very new to the wonderful world of CORBA, and have a nagging
question that I cannot get a clear and definite answer for. I have in
the past written an application that uses COM to the extreme, and have
decided to rewrite all of it under Unix (Solaris to be more precise).
That part is easy enough.

For my question. When I look at all the samples out there + reading the
Advanced CORBA Programming with C++ (I just love C++) I see a common
thread .. i.e. int main(int argc, char* argv[]). and always are those
parameters used to call ORB_init(argc, argv). And my question is, is
that really necessary. What I am trying to do is to have multiple
objects that do a whole bunch of stuff, all accessed trough 1 client.
All these objects would be built as shared libraries, not executables.
Only the client would be an executable. Since all objects are libraries,
one would not find a int main(blah blah). And hence my question. Is
there another way of initializing the ORB if one does not have a int
main(blah blah), or do all objects require to be executables.

This kinda begs another question, i.e., The client would have knowledge
of the existence of all the other objects only during runtime. Again
from the samples I have seen.. its always 1 client 1 server. I am trying
to have 1 client and lots and lots of servers (objects). My guess, that
is possible, but again have seen no proof positive that it is. The
client I have in mind would only do one call to the ORB_init then use a
IOR string to locate the server objects.

I am way off here, or is that all possible,

Cheers
Eric