[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.1 problems on AIX and HP-UX

Grigori Shpakov grisha at altiris.ee
Tue Jul 22 18:31:22 BST 2003

Hi all,

I have the following configurations:

AIX 4.3 + GCC 3.2.3, omniORB 4.0.1 is built using only gcc/g++, without using the script makeC++SharedLib, but using -G linker option.
HP-UX 11/11i + GCC 3.2.1.
RedHat Linux 7.3 + GCC 3.2.1

My application uses only libraries libomniORB4.a (.so) and libomnithread.a (.so), the code is the same for all platforms.
Application consists of several modules that are communicating to each other using CORBA calls in asynchronous way.
And the problems are the following:

* All of the AIX modules periodically crash in the middle of the CORBA calls. Core file shows that the process was aborted and the stack points to libpthread.a / pthread_kill() function. This happens sometimes after several hours of work, and sometimes immediately after process start.

* Recently new AIX problem was introduced: high CPU usage and hanging of CORBA calls. I.e. the call to some module hangs and that module being called consumes much CPU time. Despite calling process is killed, high CPU usage remains forever.

* HP-UX modules crash sometimes in the same way as AIX ones, but more rarely. Unfortunately I have no information about core files on HP-UX.

I suspected my application logic, memory leaks etc. until I got perfectly working program on Linux. It seems to run for days without having any problems related to omniORB. So, as my code is the same for all platforms, I assume that something wrong with my omniORB installations.

Please help in case you know where the problem is...

Thanks in advance,
Grigori.